Thursday 10 January 2008

Literary Agents in Ireland



Note: Agents and agents' needs change. Please refer to this most recent blog post from November 2010.

There are only a few agents in Ireland. I'm looking for one who deals with UK publishers.

I'm reposting the list of Irish agents with updated details.

I dealt with this one once when my book wasn't polished:
The Lisa Richards Agency
Founded in 1998
46 Upper Baggot St
Dublin 4
Tel: (01)6603534
Fax: (01)6603545
fogrady@eircom.net
Contact: Faith O’Grady
Seeks - Writers of Fiction, Non-Fiction,Childrens and Screenplays.
Send synopsis, 2 -3 speciman chapters, cover letter and s.a.e. (essential)
Translation rights handled by The Marsh Agency Ltd.
No reading fee
Authors include June Considine, Tara Heavey, Colm Keena, Martin Malone, Pauline McLynn, Sarah O’Brien, David O’Doherty, Damien Owens, Homan Poetterton, Kevin Rafter, Annie Sparrow, Denise Deegan, Paul Howard (Ross O’Carroll-Kelly,) Roisin Ingle and Hector

The most high profile one (but Jonathan is a bit grumpy when I've met him.)
Jonathan Williams Literary Agency
Rosney Mews
Upper Glenageary Road
Glenageary
Co Dublin
Tel: (01) 2803482
Fax: (01) 2803482
Contact: Jonathan Williams
Founded in 1981. Literary Agency, evaluating, editing, rewriting, proof reading, consultancy; experience in Canada as well as Ireland. General fiction and non-fiction, preferably by Irish authors (home 10%) Will suggest revision; no reading fee unless a fast decision is required. Return postage appreciated.

This is the one recommended to me. Ger represents a some woman's fiction authors.
The Book Bureau
7 Duncairn Avenue
Bray
Co Wicklow
Tel: (01) 2764996
Fax: (01) 2764834
thebookbureau@oceanfree.net
Contact: Geraldine Nichol
Full-length MSS (home 100%, USA 15%,translation 20%) Fiction preferred -thrillers, Irish novels, Literary fiction,women’s novels and general commercial. No horror,science fiction,children’s or Poetry.Strong editorial support.
No reading fee. Preliminary letter,synopsis and 3 sample chapters.
Return postage essential. Works with agents overseas.

The big name one who launched Cecilia Ahearn:
Marianne Gunne-O’Connor
Suite 17 Morrison Chambers
32 Nassau Street
Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 6779100
mgoclitagency@eircom.net
Commercial and literary fiction, non-fiction, biography, children's fiction (UK 15%, overseas 20%, film/TV 20%). Send preliminary letter plus half-page synopsis and first 50pp. Translation rights handled by Vicki Satlow Literary Agency, Milan. Authors: Cecelia Ahern, Chris Binchy, Ken Bruen, Claudia Carroll, Julie Dam, Noelle Harrison, Claire Kilroy, Patrick McCabe, Mike McCormack, Paddy McMahon, Anita Notaro, Morag Prunty, Naill Williams. Founded 1996.
However a friend of mine sent the standard 3 chapters and a synopsis and received a letter back, return of post saying they don't take unsoliticed so I suggest you write a really good query letter first.

I've met these nice ladies recently.
Font International
Hollyville House
Hollybrook Rd
Clontarf
Dublin 3
Tel: (01) 8532356
info@fontwriters.com
www.fontwriters.com
Ita O’Driscoll, Orna Ross
launched in 2003
Commission 15%,Overseas 20%.
Experienced published writers only. Adult fiction, non-fiction. (No childrens,drama,sci-fi, erotic,technical or poetry.) Unsolicited manuscripts will be returned unopened. Cover letter, word count, SAE for return.
Their writers include Amanda Brunker, Paul Kilduff, Evelyn Cosgrove, Garbhan Downey and Aine Greaney.

Note: The Causeway Literary Agentcy's website is not working so I would hesitate to send my manuscript to them.
Causeway Literary Agency
24 East Claremont Street,
Edinburgh EH7 4JP
PO Box 833,
Maynooth,
Co. Kildare
Tel No: 0131 556 2006 / 3534 586 9801
Email: info@causewayagency.com
Web: www.causewayagency.com

23 comments:

Yvonne said...

Excellent post, thanks for the very useful information!

Marc said...

Thanks for all the useful information. However it seems that the www.causewayagency.com site no longer exists (or doesn't exist yet?)

Keep up the good work

Marc

Emerging Writer said...

Thanks for letting me know. That's a little worrying. I'll take them off the list for now and check later in case it was an internet glitch.

Mary T Bradford said...

the info you give is great. I hope to use it in the future. Wishing you lots of success and laughter in your life, thanks for sharing.

Emerging Writer said...

Glad to help, Monty and thanks for dropping by.

Things I'd like but can't afford said...

Thanks for the list. I just dont know where to start.....edit and submit, or submit, wait to be torn to pieces and edit.........or just network and start sleeping with agents......I dunno its a tough one. Not relishing any of the above. Worst of all is, I hate my novel now because I'm so sick of editing.......

Unknown said...

Can anyone let me know if waiting four and a half months for a response from (one of) Ireland's 'top agents' is normal? Am I super impatient or should I resign myself to such huge delays in getting a response? thanks.

Emerging Writer said...

Hi klugook, I think a gently worded email nudge now would be a good idea. They may have lost it....

ikkywho said...

Hi Me,
I am new at this, only 46 pages to date. I have been checking my next
step (aside from getting it finished)on the Internet. I am surprised how little actually comes up with regard to Irealnd, Irish agents, etc. So I was very glad to find your site. Very helpful.
Can you help me some more, maybe?
Here is what I seek advice on - My story is true. Involves, events leading up to a very unusual court case. Irish. Very current. Rather unbelievable! I can see that when the book is published the story will cause a storm and would cross some influential people. It would be the type of interest a TV chat or modern day factual programme would be interested in. I am not good at being public so I feel I need an agent. Have you any ideas who maybe interested in this kind of book?
You have already been of great help and it is much appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Ikkywho.

Emerging Writer said...

It's not my area but I would think your best bet is to go through one of those true story newspapers or magazines. Try googling that.
GOod luck

farmerwest said...

I have recently been approached by an agent wanting to represent my book. What are the normal terms for a new writer? What should I look for in a contract? Any Advice

farmerwest said...

Can anyone advise me I have just got an agent for my book but not signed anything yet. What are the normal terms and is there anything I should look out for?

Emerging Writer said...

The number one thing is that the agent should not be charging you anything. They take a percentage of the eventual sale only. No changes for reading or photocopying or postage or anything like that. There are a lot of sharks out there.

Otherwise 10-15% is normal for domestic and 15-20% overseas.
How did the agent find out about you?

Unknown said...

Hello Emerging Writer, I've just finished writing a romantic novel about interracial couple who both came from a very different background and social structure. They fell in love at the time their country was going through massive political transition and had to learn how to overcome challenges such as social exclusion, family discommunication, desperation for acceptance. There's a lot of sense of tension, tears, sadness and emotional attachment to the novel, in all it's a story or true love, sacrifice and belief that your true soul mate can be someone you least expect to be. I've already imagining what type of a movie this could turn out to be. I would be happy of you can please give me an idea which agent might interested in a story like this.

Emerging Writer said...

Juliet. How would you classify the genre? Does it have an Irish connection? How many words is it?

M D said...

Howdy, just a Link update: http://www.fontlitagency.com/ (instead of http://www.fontwriters.com/ -itdoes not exist as business site any longer)

M D said...

“Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.” Winston Churchill (source - http://emsincorporated.com/pr-services/book-promotion/)

Emerging Writer said...

Really? I wonder what happened to them. there's a much more recent post on Irish literary agents here http://emergingwriter.blogspot.com/2010/11/literary-agents-in-and-around-ireland.html

Marcus Breathnach said...

I've contacted each of the above and none are willing to take unsolicited workings? Its there job to do so! Ireland is useless I feel I'm the only intellagent one left here...prove me wrong

Emerging Writer said...

Brethnach, check out the more recent listing here http://emergingwriter.blogspot.com/2010/11/literary-agents-in-and-around-ireland.html (and check your spelling!)

Irish Literary Agent said...

My name is Cathal O'Briain and I work as an Irish Literary Agent. My goal is to help Irish authors secure suitable contracts with major publishers both in Ireland and abroad. Please feel free to visit my webpage at http://www.cathalobriain.com

I do not charge fees of any description. Only when your book is sold do I receive a commission of 15%.

Please send your query, synopsis, and first three chapters of your book to irishliteraryagent@gmail.com

I look forward to reading your book and getting it published.

Emerging Writer said...

Thanks Literary agent. Who do you already represent in the literary market?

Emerging Writer said...

Thanks Literary agent. Who do you already represent in the literary market? I recommend anyone looking for a agent practising due diligence as there are plenty of sweet talking shysters out there