Wednesday 19 November 2008

Annoying, overused phrases


This blog post shows the TOp 10 most annoying phrases:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

( I like 'with all due respect.' You can get away with almost anything after that.)

I would like to add:
- to be honest
- we're giving 110 percent
- at this time
- not right for our list

My son would like to add:
- you people
- but seriously
- just want to be friends

You could have some fun putting these phrases in the mouth of an obnoxious character in your writing.

6 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Perfect post!!! :-)

Liz said...

Interesting...can I add:
- unforeseen circumstances
- out of our hands
- to sum up
- it depends how the wind blows...

: )

Henry the Dog said...

I'm guilty of using at least three of those at some point but then again, I am a dog. I ain't keen on 'old chestnuts' - yeah particularly that one:)
My veri word is uloysis - is that the new spelling for Ulysses?

Colm Keegan said...

I had a boss who kept telling me to 'pick the low hanging fruit' and 'get with the program' so much that i told him to 'eat **** and die'. He 'didnt like my attitude' and told me to 'sling my hook', nearly 'taking my eye out' when he 'threw the book at me'. I then 'kicked his ass', 'tore his head off and **** down his neck'.

Hows that for 'blue sky thinking'.

If this post 'makes the grade' and actually 'sees the light of day' after owner approval 'I'll eat my hat'.

Colm Keegan said...

Haha....pass the salt.

Peter Goulding said...

Can I add "the reality of the situation is...?"
Its actually quite good fun in any political discussion to bet on who will use it first.