Wednesday 12 January 2011

Currently Reading

New Year, New me.

Decided to note what I'm reading. This list includes some from 2010.


The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
David Mitchell (Hardcover - May 13, 2010)
Brilliantly written. Great story. Makes me want to give up writing.


The Reader
Bernhard Schlink (Paperback - Dec 1, 2008)
Bit boring and obvious. Why do people rave about this?


The Savage Garden
Mark Mills (Paperback - Jul 2, 2007)
Enjoying this 1950's mystery though a little slow.


Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group)
D. E. Stevenson (Paperback - Nov 2, 2009)
Delightful, witty early 20th century fun.


The Torment of Others
Val McDermid (Paperback - Mar 7, 2005)
Always love a good thriller. Val's one of the best crime writers around.


The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Junot Diaz (Paperback - Feb 5, 2009)
Not getting on with this. Too much on Trujillo, not enough story


Started Early, Took My Dog
Kate Atkinson (Hardcover - Aug 19, 2010)
Love Kate's writing. Parallel stories interwoven and witty


Warbreaker (Tor Fantasy)
Brandon Sanderson (Mass Market Paperback - Mar 30, 2010)
Wonderful fantasy book, believable built world, super characters


The Fry Chronicles
Stephen Fry (Hardcover - Sep 13, 2010)
Excellent. You feel you know him (though you don't) clever, curmodgenly and geeky though he is.

8 comments:

Group 8 said...

I hated The Reader. The film of it was OK but annoying also.

Padhraig Nolan said...

Cool. Agree about The Reader - very 'meh'. Clunky, even.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Bloody Hell, that's a lot of books!
The thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet is a fantastic title.Makes you want to give up writing? Makes me want to start reading!


Ps. Don't give up writing.

Niamh B said...

These are always interesting - with you on "The Reader" not that I've read it, but always try to avoid anything with that level of hype.

Words A Day said...

I'm re-reading The Hotel New Hampshire, and just finished The Passage.

Must try the Val mcDermid - I've only read her collection of short stories, with foreword by Rankin, but they were very very poor.
Its interesting, no, annoying that when big publishing houses are producing an short story collection they call on novelists (who arent always able to write short stories) and rarely on actual short story writers...
I've never read any of the rest - the big long face on Kate W is enough to make me throw away the reader but I like the sound of Mitchell's.

Titus said...

Ooh, gotta get that Mitchell! Got to do my next reading list post too, come to think of it...

Party Peep said...

wow! i envy you for your reading lists. will read more books, too this new year. regards.




------------------
romantic quotes

Mari G said...

OOPs....loved "The Reader"
But then I'm partial to books that pack a punch at 50,000 words...so much emphasis on "tomes" of one hundred thousand plus, often a lot is just padding (in my humble opinion)
Also partial to first person narratives & to a decently made movie, which I did think "The Reader" movie was.
Great diverse reading list, Kate & surely don't give up writing!