Sunday 9 February 2014

Strokestown International Poetry Award


I have never got anywhere with this competition though I've sent them some of my very best stuff. I wonder are the submissions pre-selected? I'm not bitter. No. No. I do know though that Strokestown festival funding has been reduced this year so I am recommending entering if only to support the festival.

The Strokestown International Poetry Award is awarded for a poem in English not exceeding 70 lines, has a first prize now reduced to €1000, a second prize of €500 and a third prize of €200 plus 3 more fourth prizes of €100 each. So more prizes but less dosh.

The judges this year are Paddy Bushe and Neil Astley for English,

There's no Irish competition this year (but the rules don't seem to specify the poems are to be in English and Paddy Bushe is good at the old Irish, I think, so...)

The Percy French Prize for Comic Verse selection last year was criticised and this year it is being judged by the committee with an emphasis on fun and witty verse. Prizes first: €300, second €200 and five of €100.

Deadline: 28th February 2014

Fee is €5 for postal entries and €6 for Paypal/email.

It is a condition of entry that short-listed competitors are prepared to attend the festival weekend which is 2-4 May, 2014. 
 
For more information, click here.

No comments: